To encourage energy efficiency.
To help Queensland households improve their energy efficiency, the Queensland Government has invested $20 million to the Affordable Energy Plan for rebates on approved energy efficient appliances. The Plan is limited to one rebate application per household.
Rebates will apply to purchases on or after 1 January, 2018 of the following household appliances:
- $200 for a 4 star energy rated washing machine
- $250 for a 4 star energy rated refrigerator
- $300 for a 4 star energy rated air conditioner
Customers can save up to $50 per year by using an energy efficient refrigerator or washing machine, while an energy efficient air conditioner could save up to $135 per year.
To be eligible for a rebate, the appliance must:
- have a minimum 4 star energy rating
- be new and purchased on or after 1 January 2018 (a copy of the tax receipt must be provided showing you have paid in full)
- be for the purposes of domestic/residential use in a Queensland residence.
For air conditioners, the 4 star energy rating relates to cooling. Free-standing, portable air conditioners and evaporative coolers do not qualify for the rebate.