By Martin Vedris
SYDNEY: The countdown to the 2009 Electrical Retailing Awards (ERAs), in conjunction with the GfK Australia awards, is on with the retail judging panel soon to be casting votes on the industry’s best suppliers.
This year Appliance Retailer, in conjunction with GfK Australia, will host the fourth Electrical Retailing Awards on Friday 17 April 2009 at the Sofitel Wentworth in Sydney.
The evening will include the GfK Awards, which recognise the companies who have contributed to adding value to product categories.
The ERAs are peer-voted awards where the industry’s retailers vote on the best suppliers and the suppliers vote on the best retailers.
All ERA votes are audited by accounting and professional services firm, Ernst & Young.
Retailers will vote on 17 supplier product categories and there will be one winner in each of these categories:
• Audio (2008 winner: Sony)
• Communication (2008 Phones winner: Uniden)
• Computers (2008 winner: HP)
• Cooking (2008 winner: Westinghouse)
• Cooling (2008 winner: Panasonic)
• Dishwasher (2008 winner: Dishlex)
• Floorcare (2008 winner: Dyson)
• Heating (2008 winner: De’Longhi)
• Home Office (2008 winner: HP)
• Home Theatre (2008 winner: Sony)
• Imaging (2008 winner: Sony)
• Laundry (2008 winner: Fisher & Paykel)
• Microwave (2008 winner: Sharp)
• Personal Care (2008 winner: Philips)
• Refrigeration (2008 winner: Westinghouse)
• Small Appliances (2008 winner: Sunbeam)
• Visual (2008 winner: Panasonic)
The retailer voting will also determine the two major supplier awards: Best Product (won last year by Fisher & Paykel for the Aquasmart WL80T65CW1 Washing Machine), and the Best Supplier (won last year by Electrolux).
Suppliers will also soon be voting for the best retailers in each state and there are also two major retail award categories: Best Retail Group (won last year by The Good Guys) and Best Retail Store (won last year by Harvey Norman, Marion, SA).
Tickets to this year’s event are selling fast. The cost is $195 (ex GST) per person or at a discounted $1,900 (ex GST) for a full table of 10 people.