Australian Sony staff safe from sack, for now at least

By Patrick Avenell

Sony Australia managing director Carl Rose has spoken today about the local impact of company retrenchments following news from the Japan head office that around 8,000 Sony staff members are set to lose their jobs.

“At this time, Australia is faring better economically, than other parts of the world, so these specific initiatives will not necessarily take the same shape locally,” said Rose.

“That said, in times like these, the measure of a good organization is how effectively it can adapt to movements in the market.

“We have already embarked on some initiatives locally to improve profitability and enhance the efficiency of our business. These include the price increases for the coming year which we announced last week and a broad strategy to move some of the fixed costs of our business to a variable cost platform.

“For example, we are currently in the process of outsourcing our logistics operation to a third party supplier, DHL. The alliance with DHL will provide Sony with greater flexibility in managing fluctuations in the demand for warehousing.

“Sony Australia will continue to monitor and review its operation in order to meet the needs of customers and stakeholders.”

Sony’s Japanese head office had earlier issued a press release, announcing that the corporation intended to “reduce headcount in the electronics business worldwide by approximately 8,000, out of approximately 160,000 as of September 30, 2008. 

“At the same time, Sony plans to reduce headcount in its seasonal and temporary workforces.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*