By Patrick Avenell
GOLD COAST: CEDIA executive director Stephen Miller has responded to criticism of this year’s exhibition, held last weekend, saying that attendance figures have been good, and are not the reason for next year’s relocation to Sydney.
Speaking at the event held at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre, Miller told Current.com.au that the event had been a success.
“It’s going really well,” Miller said on Saturday. “The first two days are about the same as last year and exhibitors are happy with attendance numbers.
“I’m more than happy with numbers, [it’s] not the reason for moving.
“[Attendance] number are staying up despite the world economic situation”.
To test this assertion, various exhibitors were questioned as to their view on the attendance figures. The response, from major suppliers including Panasonic, Samsung and LG, was positive, with representatives all answering that the expo had met or exceeded their expectations.
As for assertions that CEDIA was moving to Sydney next year in response to low vendor and visitor numbers, and an apparent negative perception of the Gold Coast, Miller was keen to address the real motives of this decision.
“Our focus next year in Sydney is to attract other end users,” said Miller. “Then [CEDIA] is back to the Gold Coast in 2010.”
After that, CEDIA has no concrete plans, although Miller was prepared to speculate, saying “perhaps Melbourne in 2011”.
When asked about the reasons behind the decision to begin changing locations, Miller said, “It’s time to do something different”.
As for the more personal criticism that Miller has recently received, the CEDIA man reported that he hadn’t heard or read any.